Turning legal got real scary, real quick.

/
0 Comments

     Do you remember when you were, say, 5 years old and you dreamed of your older and smarter and better-dressed self, with great friends, great social life, combined with well payed job and college and so on and on…?


Photography credit to @kennywilliams1998 – Thank you!

 - Yeah that never really happened, did it?

Yes, in this post, I will convince you that turning 18 is not what it is made out to be.

I suppose, because the big one-eight is seen as such a milestone, the concept of hitting that age seems at first very exciting, you know, starting a new chapter in your life. Democracy ensured that we now have the legal power to buy most things and go to most places, but days before the big day, you actually really start to think it through. Is it really going to be just more fun?

One thing, probably something that happens every year, is that it will take a long time of getting used to answering "So how old are you?" with  "I’m 18”, and I will probably have to think about it for good minute or so too, just to then dread the ID.

The other thing, like my mum said: “Do you realise that a week from now you’ll be an adult, woman?” – No mum, I don’t. I don’t want to be. Shall we just pretend that it is no big deal and that I can still have a nap at midday like back in the day when we were 4 - oh how we did not appreciate it then.

I know, I know. I make this out to be colossal. Which it isn’t - y’all over 18s probably think I'm being a tad silly. I spoke to some of you about turning 18 - your feedback was very much mixed, but I’d say the general consensus is that there isn’t much difference at all. Especially not visible in your day-to-day life, unless you’re secretly an alcoholic and get people to buy lots of alcohol for you – good news for you! Or maybe not - now you’ll actually have to face the judgements of the cashier and buy your booze yourself. 

Anyhow, this particular birthday comes with a fair deal of responsibilities which I am not up for. As it is, I have enough of them. The expectations just get upgraded to ‘adult’ level, or even worse ‘young adult’ – that’s basically saying ‘oh, she thinks she’s 18 so she must know how world works, that’s so sweet’, accompanied by a huge, fake, condescending smile that makes you roll your eyes so hard you see your brain. 

Some of you may believe that the freedom to go out, get into clubs, buy alcohol etc. is in your favour – well sorry to break this to you, but no. Now there is more ways to spend the money we barely have. You will literally have too much month left for your wage. Entry fees, clothes, drinks, food, taxis…. Nobody tells you this, but it isn’t so easy as you may think at 17.

Either way, we are all different. I do hope that it is a celebration like no other if you do plan to celebrate your 18th in big style, ultimately, 10, 20 years from now you will be wishing to be 18 again, so make the most of it!

Drink Responsibly. Don’t Drink And Drive.


You may also like

Disclaimer

If you happen to see your work on my site without proper credit or you would like it to be removed, please contact me.

All images on this blog are copyrighted to their respective owners. I do not own any of the images posted unless stated otherwise.

Powered by Blogger.